Friday, September 18, 2009

Blingitude, ON NO! MY EYES!!!!



I don't usually talk about how old things make me feel, but yes, "Blingitude" makes me feel super old. Also, that's a crime because I'm 25, and well, lightning should strike me each time I say I feel old. Regardless, while I would not begrudge the newer generation from their own vernacular-itude, I feel like something is taken away from girls when a pair of bedazzled jeans endorsed by a celebrity is somehow superior than if they'd done it themselves.

Also, the fact that its in a commercial automatically makes me think that these words were invented by companies trying to sell the jeans rather than the lolspeak of some young lady describing her new look. Even if the coolhunters had gotten their paws on it, it suggests it's "so over," as the kids probably once said.

Not to say purchasing clothing that comes pre-made is somehow less useful than otherwise, it's certainly important for anyone to chose their own appearance, to say "this is what I want to look like" but the more options one can be given the better, if all the choices are bedazzled jeans, can one really say that the look is their choice?
I mean, the same clothes I saw in those commercial are all over the stores where I shop for my toddler, and let me tell you, diapers and skinny jeans do NOT mix. I am always shocked about the limitation on choices for clothes that come from "fashion," I've spent hours looking for pants for my daughter that wouldn't a) hobble her and make it impossible for her to climb a ladder or 2) were so sequined that they would only go with certain colors, and that's for a 2 year old. I have spent weeks of my life looking for pants for myself that at least fit, which I think also says something about the issue.

How would you do it better? aside from my general enjoyment of making costumes and clothes, which simply isn't everyone's bag, I just have to say that options are the key; and like my mother once did when I had an unfortunate green eyeshadow phase, let people make their own aesthetic decisions, it's empowering.

Every story has its own aesthetic and there's always potential to celebrate that like the success of the folks who made the Bella Bag for Twilight, but one must be careful when putting out consumer products, make sure they compliment the themes and ideas of the property as well as monetize the aesthetic of a brand. But if you can catch the eye of a young girl in a way that let's her express herself with your product as well as build her style, finding ways to celebrate her choice to wear it while still letting her put it with any number of other clothes, then you have a hit with girls and their parents. Heck, adults might even go for it too.

1 comment:

  1. also, "bff a.e.a.e." means best friend forever and ever and ever

    I had to look it up. CURSE YOU K-MART.

    ... The more you know *cue star*

    ReplyDelete